I’m not saying you’ll agree with these. In fact, you probably won’t, but then again, it’s not your list, is it? So it’s with that in mind that I present to you the Official Desert Musings Top Ten News Events List of 2016:
10. RUSSIA AIDS SYRIA IN CIVIL WAR: Well, the US wasn’t going to wade into this one, not with a chicken for a president. And Syria’s forces would be fighting the rebels until Armageddon if Vladimir Putin hadn’t stepped in. The result? America once again was shown to be a feckless leader on the world stage thanks to its feckless leader in the White House, and Bashar al Assad got to stay in power. In fact, it was so bad that Secretary of State, John Kerry wasn’t even invited to the negotiations to discuss the Aleppo cease-fire! He found out about it six days before it happened, and was pissed nobody called him. John, they don’t call losers to the big boy table!
9. ID THEFTS: Oh, it wasn’t just your bank, or your favorite department store that got hacked this year. The federal government couldn’t protect its own employees. And Yahoo couldn’t prevent its users from being hacked either…not just once but twice. In fact, over 30% of the planet had their identities put at risk to be stolen because of hackers this year. No one was immune…worse yet, no one had any answers.
8. RENEWED CUBAN RELATIONS: It wasn’t all good news, depending on which side of the Cuban situation you were on. If you lived in Little Havana, it was definitely bad news. But under Obama’s guidance, the US re-opened relations, and an embassy with Cuba’s dictatorial leadership. Some people are even flying into Havana now for the first time in almost 60 years. Apparently, they can’t get enough of those 1950 style cars here in the United States!
7. THE OLYMPICS: The rumors that swirled regarding the Olympics in Rio were that the terrorists would attack, the venues were in terrible disarray and that the pollution in Brazil would choke a mule. They managed to get the Olympic games off, with only minor hitches…the biggest one seemed to be a few US athletes that wanted to trash a convenience store and got caught.
6. CLEVELAND CAVALIERS: The Cavs did the unthinkable this year, beating the Golden State Warriors for their first NBA title, and allowing LeBron James to give his adopted hometown of Cleveland (he’s actually from Akron) a championship that he was unable to provide the first time he was in town. The town, noted for its exceptionally bad sports teams, went nuts, as you’d expect!
5. CHICAGO CUBS: The Cubbies had been under a curse for over 100 years. Something to do with a goat not being allowed into the stadium to watch a ballgame. And they had become one of the worst franchises in terms of winning championships in sports history. That was rectified this year, when the Cubs beat (who else?) the Cleveland Indians for the World Series they’ve chased for so long!
4. IRAN NUCLEAR DEAL: It’s been called by people a lot smarter than me as the worst foreign policy deal in US history. The United States in an attempt to cement something that Barack Obama could hang his hat on that wasn’t an absolute abortion in the foreign policy world, decided this was it. Iran immediately took over $150 billion in cash, the US released all of the sanctions, as did the rest of the world, and Iran resumed its “Death To America” chant. Who were the real chumps here?
3. TERROR ATTACKS ACROSS THE WORLD: If anyone doesn’t think we are in a Holy War with Extremist Islam, they either are the most naïve people in the world, or the stupidest. From California to Florida, to Italy, to Belgium, to Germany, to France, the world was on fire with terrorist plots, and seemed unable to do anything to stop it…except keep letting Middle East refugees who have been the guilty parties in many of the attacks, to keep entering their countries. Smooth move, huh?
2. BREXIT: It was a very foretelling vote. The British people voted this past summer for England to leave the European Union. It was met with derision among the Europeans, who saw it as a slap in the face of the continent. But in the end analysis, it was only an omen of things to come. Globalists should have realized that their age has come and gone without so much as a whimper.
1. THE UNITED STATES PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION: What was supposed to be the coronation of Hillary Clinton as America’s first female president, turned into one of the largest political upsets in US history, certainly equaling that of “Dewey Defeats Truman”. Donald Trump, who the polls had as trailing by 5% as late as the day before the election took the Electoral College in stunning fashion, winning the election, and leaving millions of disheartened Democrats crying. In fact, as we enter the new year, they’re still crying. And probably will be for the next four years anyway!
Carry on world…you’re dismissed….but have a VERY HAPPY 2017!